Sunday, June 12, 2005

My weekend in Columbus

We were able to leave around 4:30pm. We got to Columbus around 7pm. Our hotel had a indoor heated pool. Matt, Darcy and myself went swimming for a few hours. Darcy loved the pool... it was her first time in a big pool. She didn't act scared at all... she was splashing and kicking like she was going somewhere. We bought her a little float.... it wasn't the typical yellow baby float. It was 2 rings with some mesh netting. I really like the float and Darcy did too.

After our swim Darcy and I took a bath... she thought she was still in the pool :) She loves the water! Then Matt and I ordered Chinese... yummy. We went to bed sometime around midnight.... darcy too. I tried to lay her down in her little playpin but she didn't like that... she ended up sleeping with me... Matt slept in the other bed. she loves to wedge herself in the corner of her crib... well she wedged herself under my armpit! I got up in the middle of the night to used the bathroom. I layed the pillow along the side of the bed just incase she were to roll over... as i was walking out of the BR she was hanging over the side of the bed about to go head first!!!!!! i screamed and made it just in time to keep her from diving off. She laughed! I didn't sleep so well. If I wasn't coughing I was moving her out from under me. We had to be ready by 6:30am!!!!!!!! We were actually on time!

Once we were on base at Ft. Benning we drove around forever trying to find out where we were supposed to be. Normally its outside but b/c of the rain they moved it inside... and then the rained stopped so they moved it back outside!!! We ended up walking to the field.... oh by the way... i was way overdressed... i wore gray slacks and a nice top with heels.... everyone else was in either jeans or shorts... some man was actually in a wife beater!!!! Anyways so I was in heels... I finally took off my shoes and walked b/c i had blisters on both feet :(

We finally made it to the bleachers. Matt and I sat on the 2nd one from the bottom... we put Darcy (who was still strapped her in carseat) in front of us on the 1st bleacher.... well all of sudden Darcy flips off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The whole placed gasped.... she was fine b/c she was strapped in and the handle was still in the position to carry so it kept her from touching the ground... I think after realizing she was okay i was more embarrassed. She only cried to a brief 2 seconds.... seriously!!!!! It only scared her and made her drop her toy but once we gave it back to her she was fine!

Okay so we had to sit through 4 different groups/platoons/whatever they're called... do their little drills... it was cool.... then we had to WALK back to the place where we were for another small ceremony thingy... then they had a family briefing.... 3 hours later we got to leave with Michael. We went to applebees for lunch. Then we left them to be alone and we all headed home.

it was good seeing michael.... he seemed to be doing fine... i think he really likes it. It made me kinda proud to think about what he was doing... Matt said he was proud too. matt said on the way home how proud he was and how michael had come a long way.

no family drama.... thank God!!

Okay so here's the funny part....
Matt and I had to stop and get gas before heading home. matt was pumping the gas while I was sitting in the car... There was music blarring from another vehicle.... it was some rap song.... matt went in to pay and as i was sitting there I was listening to this song... It kept saying the N word over and over again it was saying N raise your hands up N raise your hands up OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!!! In front of us pumping gas was this little old black lady and on the other side of her was a white man in a nice car he was prob early 40. All the sudden I snapped.... I jumped out of my car and headed towards the vehicle... the driver had left the door open while he had gone inside... i was going to turn down the radio and close the door but i didn't get that far.... as soon as I jumped out of my car the driver came out of the store and before I knew it I was telling him off!!!!! It was a skinny little white boy with baggy shorts and a hooded sweatshirt with the hood on his head... I can't even remember what I said to him but i think it was something like this

You need to turn that crap down! Nobody wants to hear that! He interrupted me and said lady its a free county... I said I don't care if its a free country or not... nobody wants to hear that... its disrespectful and offensive and you need to have enough respect to turn it down. I know I said a lot more but honestly don't remember... I do remember telling him that "you not black what are you thinking!!?" The whole time I'm yelling at him he's walking backwards to his car and I'm still walking towards him... I think I scared him. He jumped in his car and drove off. As I turned around I was thinking 'what are you doing? You could have been shot!' I made eye contact with the little old lady... she was smiling at me... then i made eye contact with the man.... i looked at him and said "i'm sorry" he said "no don't be... I'm glad you said that he needed it" as he was clapping and smiling. I got back in my car just as matt came out the door... I said did you see me??? he said oh yeah! I felt kinda silly but proud at the same time... matt wasn't mad... he said that he had given the guy a "look" as we was pumping gas and then we matt walked inside to pay the guy was on his way out and held the door open for matt and matt gave him another look.... which i guess explains his reaction to me... he was prob thinking 'oh crap thats that guys wife... he's gonna kick my butt... i gotta get out of here!'

okay so that's my story of columbus... i'll post some pics later

2 comments:

prftpeace said...

Good for you!!! If there is one thing people need to learn in this free country of ours it is this:

YOUR RIGHTS END WHERE MINE BEGIN!!

You have a right to say any filthy thing you want, dress any lustful, seductive way you want, listen to any filth, BUT I HAVE THE RIGHT NOT TO HEAR IT OR SEE IT!!

AND I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO STAY AT HOME TO AVOID IT----

Jamie said...

That's funny, and I COMPLETELY AGREE with Deb. Sounds like that punk needed a little truth spoken in his life.