Friday, April 15, 2005

A mother's duty

is to watch over, protect, guide, pray over and much much more with our children. Today the devil tried to step in and I am NOT having it! To some of you this may sound silly but for me its serious b/c its my daughter. Jessica is 9 and will be 10 in July. Matthew and I have always tried to watch all movies before Jessica sees them. There are some disney programs I do not allow her to watch b/c of the content. I do not allow her to listen to music unless i have screened it first. What I'm trying to say is I do not want my children exposed to some things.

Jessica has a friend that I do not care for nor do I care for her mother. my reasons are b/c in the past her mother has not brought her home when I've asked and instead i've felt underminded. I really thought those were the my issues with this lady. Apparently not. Last night the girl called and begged that I let Jessica spend the night... against my better judgment (and yes in my gut i knew not to let her go) I let her go. The girls mother was to bring Jessica home this morning at 10am b/c we have plans today. At 9:45 the phone rings... Jessica is on the other end telling me it will be 11:30 before she will be home - NOT ACCEPTABLE! I tell Jessica to get her stuff ready adn I will be there soon... they just live a few blocks away. I called Heather (michael's wife) to come and sit with Darcy b/c she was still asleep. Once we are back at home Jessica takes a shower while Heather and I sit on the couch and talk. All of the sudden Jessica starts screaming... I panicked... she's yelling for me to come quick... i'm thinking she's hurt herself... its a scary feeling. So I make it to her bathroom and she's standing there crying and shaking. She grabs me and starts crying even harder... I ask her what's wrong and she says she watched Hangmans' Curse last night and it was scary. Of course I'm furious b/c someone else has allowed my child to be exposed to God only knows what! My first reaction was to call this lady and tell her off. But after some thought and advice from a wise women (cori your mom is awesome) I decided not to call her. Mrs. Beth said she knew this girls mom and she was not all together... that she might blow up on me (which would not be in her best interest) or laugh at me. I knew that if either of the 2 happened then I wouldn't be able to control my anger. so instead the next time she ask jessica to spend the night... I will say No! The last time my daughter spent the night there she was a horror movie and I do not allow my children to be exposed to such things!

I looked up the movie on plugged in http://pluggedinonline.com/movies/movies/a0001484.cfm)
Its a frank peretti movie but still it exposed my child to things that at this age I do not think she's ready for and I'm very upset.

Jessica is scared to death and doesn't want to be left alone in a room. I've had to sit her down and explain things to her that I never thought I would have to explain this early. I had to tell her that there were going to be people in her life that would be doing something she knew she should have no part in.. and she can call and I will always come and get her without her getting in trouble.

I'm asking that you all pray for Jessica. I'm asking that you pray for a peace of mind and that God would take those images out of her little head. That she wouldn't be scared and that she'd not ever think about those things again! She's going to her dad's this weekend and I hope they are understanding of her feelings right now. I've already called Louanne and asked her to talk to Jessup... she was upset too.

Thanks guys for your prayers and support.

2 comments:

Vickie said...

I've always said that you can mess with me, but if you mess with my kids or my man 'You Better Watch Out'!!! I would have gone over and beat the woman to a pulp.
I've always thought and saod that you are an awesome Mom!! You're doing the right thing. I am in agreement with you. I will be praying for Jessica.

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for her too- I have things still in my head from when I was little, moives that I should not have watched (at friends house too)

You are a great mother- and I wish more parents would take time to see what their Children are feeding into their heads and hearts.

I have kids at Jaam that watch movies that I would NEVER watch as an ADULT! Scary.