Friday, January 27, 2006

H & R Block SUCKS

don't bother going to their offices!!! I'm so disgusted with their services I can't even see straight! here's a short version of the story

last year i did my taxes online through their website... easy as pie... it cost me somewhere around $20. Yesterday I call their officeIn alabaster and ask if I needed the info from last years tax preparation to complete this years b/c I had lost it. the lady i spoke with said no. i told her i had done the estimated refund on the website and asked how accurate it was... she said very accurate but if i came in the office then they could probably get us back more. I asked her how much it would cost and she said $49... i said well for $49 it might be worth it if you can get us back more. So after talking to this lady and asking all the questions I made an appointment (3 phone calls later).

Last night we walked into the office and met with the preparer... not the same lady i spoke to. Once everything was done and we were signing our names the lady surprises me with the fees. It was over $350 in fees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! None of which had been told to us prior to finishing our taxes. I was furious and she knew it. she apologized but at no point told us that it wasn't too late to back out. I even made comments like "i could have done this on your website for $20 and still gotten the same amount back" or "I would have never have come here had I known up front these fees." She let us believe there was nothing that could be done.
today I got the phone call letting me know our check was ready to be picked up. i asked to speak with the manager. The manager was no help. She interrupted me every 2 seconds. All she offered to do was talk the lady who misinformed me. I told her that I felt like she should make it right and only charge me the $49 I was quoted. She said she didn't know if she could do that and she's have to call the district manager and get back to me.
since that phone call i've called the 800 # from the website and filed a complaint. I'm waiting to hear back from someone - anyone!

sorry if i rambled but I'm so stinking pissed right now... i just wanted to share this with you all so the same thing doesn't happen to you.

3 comments:

native-nc said...

Looking for a new tax person too! Someone besides H&R block....they're so greedy!!!!

dana said...

Aaron logged onto H & R .com and clicked on a llink that was something called tax cut 2004 (he did it for the first time last year) and I guess once you use it they send you a copy every year to do it yourself. It isn't too hard if you don't have complicated tax issues, and the only colst is just to e-file it. It can be free if you want to mail it in snail mail and wait for like 8 weeks to get your check, but e-file only takes like 3 weeks for us and it is the same program tax people use to do our taxes and charge us a zillion dollars.

Nicole said...

I did my taxes through H & R Block's website last year and had no problem... it only cost $20 but I wasn't able print it out b/c /my printer was screwed up... so the other day I was on their website and called the local office to find out if i needed that stuff in order to do it again this year or if they had it on file... THATS WHEN the lady told me to come in and she'd get us more money and it would only cost us $49.