Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Jessica's First Day of 5th Grade

Monday was Jessica's first day of 5th grade. Her teacher is new. His name is Nick Quinn. He was born and raised in Alaska. This is his first year to teach. He's in his early 30's and has 2 kids. She seems to like him so far.

Monday night we started something new. During supper we played connect four and after supper we all went for a walk. We are trying to do more things all together. Since we moved into this house 2 years ago Jessica has been talking about walking to school. Well we finally decided to let her. BEFORE any of you start to critize me... just stop and think would you like others to judge your parenting abilities? We talked to her all safety and what to do in different situations. She was really excited. So yesterday morning she walked to school. Now keep in mind that its just straight down the street and left into the lower parking lot. AND they have a security officer that directs traffic into the lower parking lot. It only takes her a little over 5 minutes to get there.

Before she left yesterday she wanted to call my mom to let her know of her new adventure... she couldn't get in touch with her so she asked me to keep trying. Finally I did and lets just say my mother was NOT excited. Infact we exchanged words and didn't speak the rest of the day. But later she apologized so now everything is okay... atleast until the next time she feels the need to tell me I'm doing something wrong regarding MY children.

Oh... one more thing. A couple of years ago (i think jessica was 5) she decided she wanted to try cheerleading. We signed up for peewee at Thompson... BIG MISTAKE! It was a horrible experience. The other mothers were the biggest problem... they reminded me of the lifetime movie 'The Texas Cheerleading Story'... it was really bad. Yesterday Jessica came home and informed me that she wanted to cheer for kingwoods peewee. I talked with the sponsor... apparently you signed up last school year but she's going to see if she can find her a uniform... if so then she's good to go. Please pray for us! She'll have practice 2x a week and games are on Tuesday nights. She also wants to play volleyball and at the end of this year she can try out for the 6th & 7th grade team. I'd much rather her do something like that than cheer :)

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I think that Jennifer Jones coaches the 6th and 7th grade volleyball team for Kingwood. I played volleyball too. I loved it! But I can see the pull to want to cheer.

Nicole said...

I didn't realize that J coached there. I love her dad to death! I told him that I hope he stuck around until Jessica graduated... he just laughed.

Cheerleaders have a reputation that follows them... doesn't mean its true.. but i'd just rather her not go down that road.