Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Christmas

I've been visiting with Kelly and Will most of the morning. Kelly is Tommy Staggs' wife and Will is their adorable son. It was nice to have some company. We started talking about the hassel of holidays. Here's my complaint.

1. I barely have enough money to buy for my immediate family... I'd rather not buy for anyone else... drawing names doesn't help b/c there are 4 of us to draw for! Not to mention its a pain to try and figure out what someone else wants.

2. I have my own family now... I'd like to start my own family traditions. If you want to see my family on Christmas then you can pack up and come on over! Christmas eve and Christmas Day is spent on the go... not relaxing at ALL! My kids are young... I do not want to make them hurry up on Christmas morning so that we can make our rounds. COME TO US!

My suggestion are..... Christmas morning I'm going to make breakfast for my immediate family. Then at lunch time everyone that wants too can bring over a dish and we can have lunch.

Christmas Eve I'm going to spend with my family! If we feel like going to his grandmothers house then we'll go! But i'm not drawing names anymore!!!!!!!!!! I'd rather spend christmas eve watching all those old christmas movies. And after the kids are in bed I would like to exchange presents with my husband.... its hard to have 'our' moment christmas morning when we're too busy being excited about the kids.

Whats your thoughts on the Christmas rush?

4 comments:

~Crystal~ said...

Wow...Reading your post made me get excited for Christmas. I love the feeling of the Holidays.
But I say, you should start your own traditions for sure. Plus the drawing names thing isn't always good. Instead of drawing names. You should do 'bring a $10 gift that is unisex' then do it like the 'White Elephant' game. Then if anyone doesn't want to participate (like your family) then those that do will still get a present. You could even just let Jessica do it, that way she gets a present.

Staci said...

I don't know what to say Nic, I agree, Christmas is goofy- esp buying gifts for everyone and having nothing left over for your family. I'm not even saving money for this year's christmas gifts. I will buy my little sister a gift, and that is it! Chris and I don't even give each other anything- His Birthday is 1 month later, and I would rather give him stuff for his birthday. I'm sure it will change when we have children of our on, but for now, we enjoy our families traditions that they already have. We are just thankful to be around Family at Christmas. That one year that we weren't allowed to go home was terrible. It was miserable. So anyway- Start your on thing- if your family does not understand then WHAT'S NEW??? Love ya- Happy Holidays....

Anonymous said...

Oh Christmas is my fav time of year. I am so behind already. Normally by this tim I have all the office gifts done - I have not even decided what to make this year. I'm so behind doing sis' wedding shower junk and getting ready for 3 trials I don't have any craft time!!! But when I was married - the holidays were a mess trying to get to both sides of the family and still have our time. And the MAJOR problems was - he did not want to change ANY of his "traditions" so how was my family supposed to fit in?

native-nc said...

I've spent every Christmas of my life with my parents, last year included. We always have a great time giving gifts to the family. However now that the family is growing it takes a lot more money & thought. I've already started buying gifts b/c otherwise nobody would get anything. For the kids we do lots of little things. And the adults only get one gift & stocking stuffers.