Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Church

We've been going to a new church for the last 3 weeks. We weren't sure in the beginning how we felt about it b/c its soooo different than anything we've ever been to. We left our church of 5 years b/c we wanted more for our kids. We tried to go back to Kingwood but there's no going back there.

Some friends from the school invited us to their church. We've met their pastor before and liked him a lot so we thought we'd give it a chance. He and his wife are our age. The funny part is... its in CHELSEA!!!! But honestly it takes us the same amount of time to get there than it did to get to Kingwood. And even funnier than that... there is hardly any youth/children!! Only ONE pastor... no choir, no microphones, no band (and not b/c they don't believe), no childrens church pastor and no youth pastor!!!

Our first Sunday there we were SHOCKED to say the least. We had no idea what to expect but by far we would have never have guessed it to be as small as it was. Our kids were the only kids I saw that first sunday. I sang out of a hymnal for the FIRST time ever! We sang one song standing and three sitting. The pastor's wife led us and an older lady played the piano. When it was time for the Pastor (Brother Caleb) to preach I wasn't sure about it but he was so simple and to the point. I felt like I was being taught something. And the sermon was something we talked about throughout the week... the THREE of us.

I've tried to explain the reason we like it to people but its hard to explain... I guess I would say this about the church... there's no playing on your emotions, you're not going to be entertained there, your not going to get caught up in some emotional drama, song or sermon then wonder later if that feeling you had was real or just emotional. Its not about the awesome praise & worship or the loud huge youth group... there's no hype involved. Its GOD... simple, plain and easy to follow. The people in that sanctuary are Godly people. Pure is a word that comes to mind when I think of that church. I not saying there's no sin... I'm just saying whatcha see is whatcha get. Good ole country folks loving Jesus. I know if my kids find Jesus there its real (if that makes any sense to ya).

We even took our kids to Vacation Bible School last week! Darcy loves it... she ask when we're going to church all the time. They teach her little bible verses. Jessica even likes it and that was something we were really worried about. But for the time being thats where we are... New Bethesda Baptist Church.

3 comments:

native-nc said...

I tried to call you today.

Mel said...

I read you were going back to Kingwood....just assumed you were still there...from a month ago anyway. Did something happen or was it just too overwelming?

Vickie said...

There is a great Church just down Hwy 31 in Thorsby called "Lighthouse"! They have a children and youth program. Ckeck it out.