Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Oh What A Night!

This all started back on Sunday. Vickie walked with me to the nursery after church to see the boys. She asked me if Jeremiah had pink eye and I said no that he'd just be crying. Little did I know she was right! His eye was just a little red... as the day went on we thought he'd scratched it. It wasn't oozing anything out. Monday it was still red but still nothing else was going on so we continued to think he'd just scratched it... until yesterday. Matthew got him after his nap and BOTH eyes were matted shut. I had gone down to the neighbors to talk and when I got home he was feeling pretty bad. At this point it was already after 6pm and I knew the doctor's office was closed. I took him temperature and sure enough he had was running a fever... 102.2. I called the after hours office and the doctor called me back. She said it sounded like pink eye and told me if his temperature got over 102.5 then we may have to bring him in. We gave him motrin and put him to bed. Around 10 he woke up. Both eyes were matted shut again. I used a warm rag and wiped his eyes off. We laid on the couch for about 30 minutes... he gulped down a 8 oz bottle of juice (bottles always seem to work better when they're sick). We laid down in our bed b/c I wanted to keep an eye on him. Sometime after midnight I felt something really HOT touching my back and I jumped.... it was his foot. He was burning up!! We took his temp and it was 104.2 I called the after hours office again but they took forever to call me back! Finally I called them back and the lady told me it had ONLY been 15 minutes since I called and that it could take up to 45 minutes before they were able to call me back. Lets just say I was speaking to someone within 5 minutes! However, they still said he didn't need to come in. I was a little frustrated but I did everything they said to do. At some point I had even called Jessica's other grandmother (she's a nurse at children's hospital) and gotten her advice. Jeremiah was up most of the night crying. He was soooo limp and it scared us. We prayed over him, sang to him and tried everything to get him to rest. Finally in the wee hours of the morning he went to sleep. It was only minutes later that matthew's alarm clock went off and it was time for him to go to work!



I had already made up my mind I was going to be waiting at the doctor's office when they opened this morning. I took his temp and it was 103.8. I gave him so more motrin and by the time we reached the doctor's office it was down to 102. The doctor said he had an eye infection, ear infection and was congested.



My poor fella was so pitiful looking during all of this. I

2 comments:

~Crystal~ said...

OH MY GOSH! Nicole, I am so sorry. I have seen so much pink-eye in my time of keeping babies that their eyes are always the first thing I look at. I pray that he gets better very very soon. BEAUTIFUL babies by the way.

~Crystal~ said...

Crystal didn't write that. I did (Vickie). I'm over at Crystal's checking my email and decided to check your blog and didn't realize until my comment was posted that it said Crystal. I thought, "Well, Crystal said the same thing I did"! hahahahaha