Thursday, May 03, 2007

DETENTION!?!?!

Jessica got detention yesterday for the first time ever... and hopefully the last time but I'm sure thats only wishful thinking.

In English class they had written poems and were reading them outloud but Jessica didn't want to read hers outloud. One of her "friends" asked to see it but then she started reading it outloud. So Jessica took off across the room shoving people out of the way. Another boy stood up to block her and she started shoving and punching him. The whole time this was going on the teacher was telling Jessica to stop but Jessica was ignoring her and said "not until I get my paper back!" All three students, jessica, the girl reading the paper and the boy that stood up to block her got detention.

The part thats in italic is what the teacher wrote on her detention slip. Jessica said that she stopped when the teacher told her to and that she never said "not until I get my paper back." Now I'm really not concerned over the he said she said crap. But what does bother me is that if it really happened how the teacher said it did then why didn't she tell the girl that was reading her paper to stop? The teacher said that Jessica never gave her the opportunity to stop the other girl but again in the above paragraph it seems she had time.

I am not upset with Jessica. At this age kids do not want to be embarrassed and thats exactly what this other girl was trying to do. I would have been upset if Jessica was the only one to get detention but thankfully the teacher was smarter than that.

Here's some questions that come to mind about this ordeal....

What kind of classroom does she run that students would get the impression that they could get away with something like this?

If the teacher had time to tell Jessica "the whole time this was going on" to stop then why didn't she have time to tell the other student to quit reading her poem?

I realize that Jessica reacting the way she did is not healthy. I realize that she has a short fuse. I've seen her go off on her cousin before. I've heard her talk about the boys at school bugging her and her hitting them. We've had several talks with her about keeping her hands to herself. Last night, Matthew and I searched the internet for some sort of anger management workbook for her and I to do together.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Nicole, I chose you for a Thinking Blog award. You can stop by my site and pick up the badge.

I would be upset. Not at Jessica but at the teacher. She should have stopped the girl from reading. My Jessica is going through similar problems at school and it's really rough because I can't do anything about it because the teacher is just plain mean and I don't want her to fail Jess because of me.