Monday, May 21, 2007

911 Adventure

Saturday night around 7 pm we put the boys down for bed and decided we would go to the store and leave Jessica here with the boys. (darcy had spent the night with my sister) This was the FIRST time ever to leave her alone. I told her before we left that if anything happened to get the boys out of the house and to call 911. I even said if you're not sure call 911. I had no idea that moments after we would leave she'd have to do exactly that.

The store is seriously 2 minutes from our house! We hadn't got past the produce aisle in the store when they started paging "Matthew Brock you have a phone call in the office." We looked at each other and for a minute we thought 'no way it can't be' but right away they paged him again and we knew something was not right. It was my mom on the phone telling us that the smoke alarm had gone off and Jessica had called 911.

We bolted out of the store. We could hear the sirens heading our way. We pulled up in our yard the volunteer fire department guys were already there and two fire trucks pulled up the same time we did. Jessica was in the front yard crying and the boys were beside her smiling and eating grass. She was a basketcase. She kept saying I'm sorry I'm sorry. We calmed her down and told her there was nothing to be sorry about. She said my dad had screamed at her for panicing and calling 911. Which let me go ahead and tell ya... I laid into him about that! and he apologized to everyone! I told Jessica she had done EXACTLY what she was supposed to do and I was sooooo proud of her.

The firemen came out of the house and said there was smoke inside but they couldn't tell where is was coming from. The went over the entire house and came back to let us know it was our dishwasher. A tubberware lid had gotten in the bottom and was burnt enough to cause enough smoke to make the alarm go off. He told us that house fires can easily be started by something as little as that.

All of the men were extremely nice. They all told Jessica was a good job she did and thats how people save lives. We were very proud of our very brave daughter.

When all of this happened she was on the phone with mom bragging that she was alone babysitting. And all the sudden the alarm went off and she told my mom what happened and that she had to get the boys out. She threw the phone down and got them.

She said she knew right away she had to get her brothers out. She got them BOTH out of they're cribs and carried them BOTH at the same time down the stairs. She said when she got to the door she had to drop them to unlock the door. Jeremiah fell and hit his hand on the vent and it left a little knot. Then she said once she got the door open they started crawling out the door and one of them crawled off the porch and hit his head! LOL Poor girl... I can only imagine the stress she was under. Once she got them outside she called 911. In the meantime my mom and dad were eating supper at my sister's house nearly 35 minutes away! They paniced and called information to get the number to the grocery store which happened to NOT be listed. My sister has a friend that lives down here and she knew the number by heart. They finally were able to get Jessica on the phone and by that time the fire department was here.

All in all it was a pretty scary experience. But we know that we can indeed count on Jessica to do the right thing. She was afraid we'd never let her stay home alone again.... it may be a while but we have no doubts that she is responsible enough. I'm so proud of her!!!!!!


I didn't proof read this so maybe you can understand it.

6 comments:

dana said...

What a great sister!!! such an adventure... glad everyone is ok

Vickie said...

WOW!! What scary thing to go thru. Jessica did exactly as she should have done. I don't think that a older adult could have done better. I think she deserves a special treat for that.

Staci said...

Wow, I am so proud of Jessica! What a scary thing to go through! Tell her that Aunt Stackie thinks she did an awesome job! No matter what Papa George said! I cried reading the post. I know it had to be crazy. And i'm sure you guys were freaking out too- Thank the Lord you are all okay. I guess we both had an adventurous weekend!

Jamie said...

VERY VERY responsible girl you have there!! You are blessed, Nic! Thank God for fast action!

native-nc said...

Way to go Jessica! She will remember that night for the rest of her life.

Beth said...

Way to go Jessica. Very responsible thinking. I would have freaked out and I'm 31.