Monday, February 13, 2006

Matthew's Proposal

Well Matthew and I had been dating for almost 2 years. We knew from the beginning that we were going to get married. We were just waiting... on what i'm not sure... I guess some stability in our jobs and with our finances. When he finally proposed I was really shocked. Matthew and I never looked at rings together... at least not in the stores... every now and then I'd see one in a magazine or on TV and I would say i liked it. We were always together so I would definitely have known if he had gone ring shoppping. I also knew where his money was being spent. So you can imagine I was completely caught off guard when he proposed with a beautiful ring!!! But at the same time I thought... is he going to propose??? Here's our story....

My family for the last several years has spent Thanksgiving in Gatlinburg... 2002 was no different except Matthew came too (oh and my dad's mom came too)! It was the last night there and we'd been going all day with my family. The whole week we were with my family... no alone time! Finally we had gotten back to our cabin really late and Matthew asked if I wanted to go for a walk. As I was layering up on my clothes I was thinking 'he's going to propose to me' but then I thought 'no, stupid don't get your hopes up.... you know he aint got no money for a ring!' And I put on my gloves and thought nah... we're just going for a walk. Our cabin was right on a river and we walked down to it. We sat on this little bench and started talking. It was a beautiful night.... the stars and moon were out. The moon light was shimmering off the water and I was really having to tell myself not to get my hopes up b/c I KNEW every move he made and that he had NO MONEY for a ring. I even said "isn't this romantic" lol!!!! Well it was cold as all get out so after sitting there for a little bit he knew I was freezing and he said... well do you wanna go back inside. We started walking back towards our cabin and on the inside i'm cussing myself for letting me get my hopes up... LOL!!!! As we were walking to our cabin he asked if I wanted to walk over to the cliff... we had talked about walking to it the whole week but at this point i was pretty disappointed and said no lets jut go inside. Just as I was about to step up onto the porch he grabbed my hand and pulled me around for a kiss. I didn't think anything of it UNTIL he got on one knee and said take off your gloves silly (i'm laughing right now just thinking about it). I took off my gloves and he proposed... He was sooooo nervous and I was laughing the entire time! Not at him but at myself for going through all those emotions before.

I couldn't wait to go inside and show off my ring. Matthew informed me that he had already told my parents... I think he thought I was going to be mad but I wasn't. When we first got to Gatlinburg Matthew had pulled my dad aside and asked his permission. Matthew said my daddy cried. AWE :) I later found out that after he and my dad talked that my dad told my mom and together they cried again. They were waiting all week for him to propose and had started to wonder if he was gonna chicken out since he hadn't done it yet.

We walked inside and told everyone what had happened... Jessica was sooooo excited!!! She jumped in his lap and said "you're gonna be my daddy now!?" It was priceless. My grandmother on the other hand slapped me on the back and said its about time!!! This is the same lady who called me on my 18th birthday and told me i needed to get married b/c I was getting old and I need a daddy for jessica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyways thats my story. We've been married for 2 years this past Septemeber. And have been dating for 5 years in March.

No comments: