Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Sick Babies

How many of you moms out there can say that you're kid has gotten sick from the church nursery? Now how many of you will say that you've taken your kid to the nursery knowing he/she is sick or might be 'coming down with something'?

I refuse to put the boys in the nursery at church for several reasons but my main reason is b/c I don't want them putting things in their mouths that some sick kid had in his mouth first! I'm still a little skeptical about putting Darcy in the nursery but she's in the older class and they don't really put things in their mouth... and yes I do realize she can still get sick... she's just a little too old to sit in church.

I've witnessed mom's drop off their kids in the nursery with a GREEN SNOT NOSE... now I know that green = infection! I don't think they won't me to keep the nursery b/c I'd be rejecting all kids with GREEN snotty noses or coughing kids! The hand foot and mouth disease went around a few weeks back... how stinkin scary is that!

sorry i know i've gone off on a tangent but I've got 4 kids and if one gets sick... they're all gonna get it sooner or later! And thats not going to be fun for me!

ps... nurse brandy I know you're reading this so please put your 2 cents in... also if you could give us some signs to look for with other sick children that would be helpful!

Oh and one more thing... Nurse Brandy works in the NICU and they put all babies on their tummy's to sleep b/c they sleep better!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well.... we aren't supposed to ADVOCATE for tummy sleeping... buuuuuuuuttttttt, it does aid in digestion... and helps 'em breathe better b/c it increases lung span..

as far as the whole church nursery thing goes...its at every church and day care nursery... it just happens... thats why we use strict handwashing in the NICU and the little sick babies can't be sharing anything... stethoscopes, thermometer, diapers, wipes... each kid gets its own...Handwashing is the handsdown the best line of defense (no pun intended...) Anyhoos... I'm no expert on raising babies.. but I can start an IV!!!

Anonymous said...

Well I am in a bad place when it comes to the nursery and sick babies. Chloe is dealing with Allergies, and so I don't see any green snot, but she is still not 100% well. The problem I have is that I can't teach a class and hold her at the same time. I don't people who can keep her while I teach, so some times I Just have to put her in the nursery. I did stay home this past Wednesday, because I knew that neither of us needed to be out, or around others. I wouldn't want Chloe to get sick, or make others sick, but what am I suppose to do? Its my job! If she sleeps I can put her down close by me, but if she is wide awake, then oh well- game on.

Thanks NURSE Brandy for the info. I know that when I worked as an assistant to the camp nurse I washed my hands so much, that I probably lost a yard of skin! The Nurse there told me that keeping my hands clean would be the best way to prevent sickness. And I let Chloe sleep on her tummy when she was little, and now she rolls over to her tummy when she wants to. Oddly enough- when we were in NC, she slept on her belly all night everynight, but once we were in TEXAS again- she's back to her back. strange. I guess she can breath better in other places.

Anonymous said...

Nurse Brandy has to add this info...
We DO have our babies on monitors at all times, so its safer if they happen to stop breathing because we know it immediately! I forgot to add that earlier!