Wednesday, December 31, 2008

No Regrets

My husband is visiting with his grandfather for probably the last time. He's sick, very sick. He has cancer and it has spread very quickly. Matthew has a lot of memories as a child with his grandfather. One of the things he told them was about "Falling Rock" the Indian. Whenever they saw signs that said "watch out for falling rock" his grandfather would tell them that Falling Rock was a lost Indian boy. Its something we tell our kids now too. Kinda sweet.
Matthew's grandfather was the one that bought him his first guitar and really encouraged him to pursue music. In fact, Matthew is there with him right now playing his banjo for his grandfather. It was a request that he asked of Matthew often and today he is playing for him. He may not be all there but at least Matthew got to do it.

My Granny Ruby died 14 years ago... unexpectedly. I only wish I had one last chance to sit with her and talk. I wish she could have met my husband and my children. She would have LOVED Matthew. She and him love the same music. I'm sure she'd have him play for her too! I miss her.

No comments: