Monday, September 25, 2006

A little bit of everything

Jessica and I spent the day in Selma, AL for a volleyball tournament. I'd never been there before and I will say that I will never go back!!!!!! On the way there we missed our turn and ended up taking the LOOOONG way which put us there right as her team started warming up!
They had 2 gyms.... both without air condition!!!!!! They were behind schedule all day which made for a really long day.
On they way out of Selma we got stopped by a redlight at a big intersection. On each corner they're were folks (black cause thats the majority down there) holding signs and collecting money. As we rode by them I caught a glimpse of a sign... it said.... GOD HATES GAYS!!!! OMG! I turned my car around and whipped into the parking lot... I was mad! I couldn't beleive that they were putting out a message like that AND people were giving them money!!!!!!!!!!!!! They had many other signs that said things like... GOD HATES WHORES AND CORRUPT LAW ENFORCEMENT! GOD HATES SINNERS! Yea, it was crazy! So I jump out of my car... not sure what I was thinking!!!!! I walked up to the lady and asked her if her sign said "GOD HATES GAYS?" She said proudly "YES!" I said "No m'am you got it wrong, God hates their lifestyle but LOVES them!" She quickly said "Are you a lesbian?" LOL "NO!" I tried to talk with this lady about God being a God of love and not hate... The talking part lasted all of about 30 seconds!!!! She started shouting all kinds of stuff... then the 2 kids with her started in on me. The boy was 8 and the girl was probably 12 or 13. Believe it or not I was calm for the most part but they were everything BUT calm! They were screaming at me that God said in Ecc 8:3 that "there's a time to hate"... I told that girl she was taking scripture out of context and that there's many other verses in the bible that talks about God's love. She said "what Bible do you read?" I said "the NIV" and she laughed and said that's the wrong one that I'm supposed to read the King James Version LOL!!!!!!!! This conversation/screaming match lasted for several minutes. The older lady said she was going to pray that God would give me the plague!!!! I laughed! She asked me if I was a christian and I said Yes! Then the girl said God only loves Christians... I tried to talk with them but I knew it was going no where and that they were looking for a fight and I wasn't giving it to them. So I started back to my car with the three of them on my heels. (((( Jessica was in the car the entire time)))) They were shouting things like GOD HATES ME!!!! and I was crazy and I was a whore... yea... they were crazy!!!!! Then the lady started saying "Jesus bind her up bind her up and send the plague on her" I said Lady you are CRAZY!!!!!!!!! I got in the car and they were on Jessica's side screaming at us... I told her to look forward and not to say a word!!! I had no idea (maybe i'm naive) that it would have turned out that way or else I wouldn't have stopped with my child in the car! We had to pull back onto the main road and we got stopped at the light so they continued to hold up their signs in our windows and scream at us!!!!! I felt sick! On the way home Jessica and I talked about God's love and all kinds of stuff. I guess something did come out of it cause even after I got home and I was telling Matthew... the three of us ended up sitting on the front porch talking about Jesus and stuff all night. The lesson I learned was... Just because its "In the name of the Lord doesn't mean its Of the Lord" AMEN!!!!!!! And that I needed to be prepared in season and out of season. I've been in a lot of places and shared Jesus with a lot of people but I've NEVER been in a situation like that before!!!!!

so thats my story of selma... and i'm never going back!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

'el sang in Selma not too long ago. The church we were at was very nice... but the town was far out of the way!!

native-nc said...

Such ignorance!

Vickie said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!

Gretchen said...

Glad you could tell them of the love of God. You never know what will come of it. You just left a seed with these people and it might be grown in the kids (the woman will have to have a lot more seeds sown)