Thursday, April 26, 2007

Sleepwalking

Last night Darcy woke up with an empty cup... normally I'd make Matthew refil it but last night I got up and did it myself. I think it was God thing b/c Matthew wouldn't have been awake enought to notice Jessica was taking a shower at MIDNIGHT! Yeah!

So anyways I come downstairs and I hear the shower on. Jessica's door was open and her light was on. I thought something was wrong. I opened the bathroom door and here's the conversation

N (me): Jessica, are you alright?
J: Yes
N: what are you doing?
J: getting ready
N: do you know what time it is?
J: no
N: Jessica its midnight
J: not uh
N: jessica look at me
she sticks her head out
N: Jessica is 12 o clock at night... you need to get in the bed
J: okay

so i walked back to her room to see if her alarm had gone off or if the clock was wrong but it wasn't. she didn't know what had woke her up.

I talked to her today and she said she didn't remember much... she said she remembered getting undress but nothing before that and then the next thing she remembered is checking the water and it being too hot so then the next thing she remembered is me coming in there but she doesn't remember anything in between.

This is not the first time she's walked in her sleep but this is by far the most dangerous thing she's done. I called her grandmother (nurse standifer) and she seemed to be concerned too. I made her a doctor's appt for monday. The nurse at the dr.s office said they "may" need to do a sleep study on her.

I did some research today and its really not that uncommon for kids to sleep walk... in fact the most likely age is between 11 - 12... she'll be 12 in july. but like i said she's done this several times before but this scared me b/c what if she'd decided to take a bath? I just don't want her to do anything that could hurt her.

7 comments:

~Crystal~ said...

That would have scared me too. Be sure to let us know what the Dr says.

Anonymous said...

I told michael about it last night and he said that he used to sleep walk too, he said he would always wake up somehwere strange and not know how he got there, He told me he walked outside once. He said Matt must have heard him get up because he went and got him!

Jamie said...

I did that several times when I was her age. I would go to sleep thinking about how I didn't need to be late, or needed to get up early to study or do this or that and would end up interrupting my sleep. I would wake up in the bath or in the kitchen or something.

dana said...

my brother used to sleep walk all over the place and it scared me too. he would end up under the kitchen table and in the bathtub (thank goodness he never turned the water on) I am with Crystal, let us know what the dr. says.

Staci said...

I usually ended up in front of the frige- but that's obvious! LOL. I did it for a while- probably until I was about Jessica's age. But I also wet the bed until I was like 9 years old! So who knows!!! Hopefully the doctor will have something to help.

Staci said...

fridge*

native-nc said...

I used to do that when I was her age too, luckily I outgrew it. My brother Josh peed on our front door once. In fact when we were kids we all sleepwalked. No one ever got hurt though!