Sunday, January 09, 2011

Blizzard of 2011

We're bracing ourselves for a "Winter Storm" here in central Alabama.... LOL I'm really looking forward to the snow but I don't get my hopes up anymore. We're prepared: 2 1/2 loaves of bread, 2 gallons of milk, 1 gallon of chocolate milk, 1 gallon of OJ, lots of juice, sandwich meat, cereal and some charcoal to grill our hamburgers with if it gets really bad :) LOL

We spent most of the day yesterday cleaning the house - like really cleaning! I have this funny little thing I do when there's any hint of unusual weather... I clean!! I want the house to be perfect so we can function if things get bad. I've been doing laundry for 2 straight days - non stop! hahaha

We've put plastic over some of the windows upstairs and taped off some down stairs. We've got the portable propane heater ready. Cell phones charged, laptops charged and camera's charged. The lanterns are ready. The cars are backed into the driveway so we can get out easier. We even let the cats come inside (not one of my ideas - trust me).

So how do you prepare?

1 comment:

Staci said...

Glad you let the cats in- :-) I didn't know you had so many!

One thing I always do is store gallons of water. My mom use to put them in the tub, she would fill up about 6 of them. I think you are suppose to have two per person- anyway- water is good to have if the pipes freeze!

We probably won't have a winter storm here in the Deep South- but we could have power outages- due to hurricanes- so we all are suppose to keep a "ready" kit. I have yet to make mine. I do make sure we have flashlights ready all the time. All else fails- head to my inlaws- that is my plan! They have a generator.