Wednesday, November 14, 2007

What's a Day without a Trip to the ER?!

Yesterday I had put everyone in their bed for a nap. I came back downstairs to do some work. A little bit later I walked into the living room and heard water running from the upstairs bathroom. I walked in my bathroom and Darcy was sitting on the sink surrounded by my makeup (which was also all over her face!). I spanked her little butt and got her down. Then I noticed the cabinet was open and the medicine was everywhere. I asked her if she'd eaten any and she said yes. I asked her to show me which one and she pointed to the packet of over the counter sleep aid. I asked her how many she ate and she started counting. I didn't know how many, if any, that she might have eaten but I knew I couldn't take a chance. I called Poison Control and they took down the information and put me on hold. They came back and told me I needed to take her to the Emergency Room. She said she was going to call and let them know I was on my way. I asked her if I had time to wait on someone to get here to watch my sleeping boys and she said it they couldn't get there in the next five to ten minutes then I couldn't wait. I called Matthew to let him know what was going on and he decided he was going to meet me at the ER. There's no one that lives within 5 to 10 minutes of us EXCEPT... Jessica's dad's side of the family. I tried Jessica's nanna first but she wasn't home so I called her aunt. Her aunt rushed over but I knew she had to leave for work soon so I needed to find someone that could come take her place. I called Matt's mom to come down. And then I was out the door!

Matthew beat me to the ER. I could tell by the look on his face that he was scared and so was I. I wasn't sure what they were going to do to my baby. I had heard horror stories of having your stomach pumped. They took us straight back as soon as I told them her name. They took her vital signs and everything seemed normal... her heart rate was up but the nurse said that could just be because of us rushing her to the ER. She was awake and appeared normal. They made her drink some sort of charcoal liquid. IT WAS AWFUL!!!! It was oily, dark and sweet... worse than the stuff they make you drink for your sugar test while pregnant!!!! She had a huge cup of it... She did good in the beginning. She took sips here and there and we made a game of it. But the last little bit was not going near her mouth!! The doctor had told us earlier that if we couldn't get her to drink it then they'd have to put a tube up her nose and down into her tummy to get the liquid in. I couldn't imagine them doing that to her so we tried everything. Finally after almost 3 hours I asked the nurse if she had drank enough. They took her vital signs again and everything checked out fine. They let us go!!!!! Darcy stole the hearts of everyone she came in contact with. They'd all walk away saying they were going to find her something special!!! LOL.. She left with about 6 stickers, 2 coloring books and a box of crayons! The nurse told us we'd be seeing the charcoal stuff again... i thought she meant in a diaper.

After we left the ER we went by Walmart for her prize she earned for drinking the nasty juice. Just as we pulled in the parking lot we got to see the charcoal liquid again :) She puked!!!! And the only thing I had was a diaper bag!!! So she puked in my diaper bag!!!!!!! LOL. She didn't want that to stop her from picking out a prize so we headed into Walmart.

On the way home she fell asleep. It was a looooong day. But once we got home she got her 2nd burst of energy. She was W I R E D ! ! I thought we'd never get her to sleep last night!

She's doing fine today. In fact she'd down for a nap and I've checked on her a few times already!!!

5 comments:

dana said...

Wow, I was scared there for a minute. Sounds like you can rarely take your eyes off her. Glad she is ok!!

Gretchen said...

Scarey!! I had to do that with Mark one time. He ate 13 of Ross' pills and he had to drink 2 of those cups of charcoal. And it still messed with his vitals. The charcoal actually made everything worse. It took the whole day at the ER, but they finally let him go. More to the story, but don't wanna take up your comment space :)

Glad she's ok. She's a cutie.

Staci said...

That is scary.

~Crystal~ said...

Goodness, that is some scary stuff. It's awful not knowing what all she ate. I'm glad she's fine.

amyelizabeth said...

ohmygoodness that's crazy!!! i'm so glad everything is okay now!

can't wait to see ya'll tomorrow.