Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Its Broken!

Darcy usually watches her favorite Dora and Boots video, Super Babies, when its time to take a nap or go to bed. Sometimes she'll wake up in the middle of the night and want you to turn it back on b/c it helps her fall back to sleep. Well last night it happened... The VCR broke!!! The VCR is the same one I had when I was a kid. The TV she's using has issues itself. The volume goes in and out but we were hoping it'd last just a little while longer. I'll guess we'll have to buy a new TV and VCR soon. She's the only one that has a TV in her room. The rest of us fight over the TV in the living room (we don't really fight b/c no one really cares about it). We've talked about letting Jessica have one in her room but we don't want her to isolate herself from the family. She has a portable DVD player that she uses sometimes.

What are you thoughts on having a TV in a childs bedroom?

In our old house matthew & I had one in our room with the dish hook up... so did Jessica. She knew what shows she was allowed to watch and I never had any trouble out of her. But my concern wasn't so much what she might watch but more about her staying in her room ... which she didn't. I had a TV in my room growing up and I'd stay in there all day! Matthew and I hardly watched the one in our room but it was nice to have just incase I wanted to lay in bed and watch the news or whatever.

3 comments:

Staci said...

I am not sure how I feel about it. I had a TV in my room and would watch movies in there, and my sister has the same set up, no cable hook up, just a vcr and dvd player- she can watch tv if she gets permission. She's good about that.

I some times wish I had a tv in my bedroom, but I'm really against it all together. I think a bedroom is for sleeping. Not TV- and you are right it does allow for isolation.

We have a TV in our extra guest bedroom/workout room- and mostly we use it when we work out and when we need to record two shows at once. If I had a bed set up in there, I would probably watch movies in there- but since there is just a treadmill- I will just put music on or watch a dvd while I work out.

Ahh- so I guess I don't have answers for you. Every family is different.

Anonymous said...

I think a tv in the "parents" room is fine because I like to drink my coffee in the room and watch the news in the morning, but in a childs room...no other than one that is only hooked up to a vcr or dvd player. (not cable)You have already stated the reasons and concerns about having a tv in a childs room. (so go with your feelings)

Chris & Brenda said...

On the TV issue - When our kids were pre-teens we got them each a TV for their rooms and regretted it for years! Upset the whole family unity dynamics.

On the other side of the coin - probably 20 years ago we took the TV out of our bedroom and it was one of the BEST things we ever did!!

Just one opinion.